THE PRAYER LIST4TH. JANUARY 2011

Posted by Jan at A CHURCH FOR STARVING ARTISTS:

Supporting justice for the Darfur region of Sudan has become a well-known cause among churches, celebrities, and peace activists in general over the past decade. But this Sunday brings us to a huge milestone in the lives of the Sudanese people. Everyone should know about the referendum, Sunday January 9th regarding the secession of Southern Sudan from the North. Some say that - no matter how the vote goes - there will be terrible violence. We are praying that this is not so.

You can find out more about this situation HERE and HERE.

This is one of those times that only God can change things. Pray for the miracle of peace.

From UKPA:

Five people have been killed and 10 others injured in a fire inside a Guatemalan passenger bus. Firefighter Carlos Hernandez told a local radio station that someone tossed a fire bomb at the bus in the capital, Guatemala City.

Street gangs have demanded protection money from bus drivers on the route in the past and killed drivers who refused to pay. Rights activists say 60 drivers were killed in 2010.

From THE NEW YORK TIMES:

Thousands of angry rioters broke through police lines, pelting officers with rocks and bottles and beating them with makeshift wooden crosses in a third day of unrest set off by a bomb blast outside a church after a New Year’s Mass, which killed 21 and wounded about 100. The fighting broke out late Monday in the densely packed neighborhood of Shoubra, home to many of Cairo’s Christians, when a crowd of hundreds of angry protesters suddenly swelled into the thousands and surged through the winding streets. Eventually, the throng began battling with the police, who dropped their batons and shields to throw rocks and bottles back at the protesters.

Please continue to pray for the people of Australia, especially those living in the flooded regions.

Posted by SARCASTIC LUTHERAN:

Anyone who knows me well knows that what I really wanted for Christmas was a brand new back since mine is wrecked. The disk between my L5 and S1 vertebrae is severely degenerated which means at the age of 41 can’t stand for more than 20 minutes without being in pain.

Posted by Paul at BYZIGENOUS BUDDHAPALIAN:

I have had three root canals in as many months. This Tuesday I will have sinus surgery to drain all the infection and repair a deviated septum at the same time. They will be working in three sinuses on my right side. It is day surgery and Bill will be with me that day and night. The doctor will remove plastic stents when I see him ten days later. So I will be out of commission for the next two weeks. Your prayers are requested and appreciated.

Between this and holidays and too many doctor appointments paychecks have been slim and medical expenses high. I give thanks that I am insured and still employed and think of those who lack work and seek it, those without insurance, those who are homeless. Let us hold them in our hearts also and seek to make our social systems better.

From the comments on yesterday's Prayer List:

Tracie H said...

Joe is also sick as a...well, very sick right now. Fever, cough, congestion, body aches. Being male, he stubbornly refuses to see a doctor to figure out what he's got. It's also very difficult to convince him to take any OTC cold preparations so he's at least a little more comfortable. I managed to convince him to take some ibuprofen to bring his fever down. So he needs all the prayer he can get.

At least he's drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Kevin said...

I would also like to add a prayer concern of my own. On New Year's day there was a fire in a mobile home that an extended family lived in. As a result, two boys, aged 5 and 6 died as well as their 73 year old grandfather. The parents and a brother escaped but with severe burns. All of three of the children went to the school that my kids attend.

Please pray for the healing; physical, emotional, and spiritual, that this family will be going through.

THANKSGIVING

Posted by LKT at THE INFUSION:

Yesterday was my last Sunday at All Saints, San Leandro as the sabbatical interim. I felt like it was a good and healthy farewell, which makes things so much easier. Not a lot of baggage after three months, of course, which helps. But still, it was long enough to make saying goodbye important.

Posted by Petty Witter
at PEN AND PAPER:

Petty Witter and Husband dearest (Themethatisme) are proud to show a photograph of their great-nephew born on the 29th of December 2010.

Posted by Erika on her facebook page:

Meet the as yet unnamed member of our family who will move in in about 3 week's time. She currently lives next door and we only popped round to say hello to the new neighbour.....

From CNN:

The Ugandan high court has banned all media outlets in the country from publishing lists identifying people they claim are gay after advocacy groups filed a lawsuit. The order after Rolling Stone, a local tabloid, published lists of people it said were gay, urging readers to report them to police. Monday's ruling applies to all media outlets in Uganda, not just the tabloid.

The court awarded damages of 1.5 million Ugandan shillings ($650) to the three groups that brought the case to court.

Kasha Jacqueline with Freedom and Roam Uganda, a lesbian support organization, called the ruling "overwhelming," saying it has brought the country's gay community together in solidarity.

Comments

THE PRAYER LIST4TH. JANUARY 2011 — 6 Comments

1. I have prayed through this very moving list and my heart yearns for everyone here in need. May each person be sustained and comforted and deeply assured of God’s presence in what ever way he or she can experience that.

I add my thanksgivings to the joys expressed here as well.

“Bidden or unbidden, God is present.”

2. Prayers ascending for all.

Saturday evening as Sudan begins its vote, the people of our parish will gather for a prayer vigil. Our sister parish St. John in the city of Malut is in the eye of any coming storm. Please pray for a peaceful time in Sudan.

FWIW
    jimB

3. Thanks, everybody. I am home from my surgery and now begin the work of recuperating.

Prayers for all others mentioned her.

JCF, surely it is unbecoming to discuss a lady’s breed. Erika is very nice and that is all we need to know.